Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Transforming Rows to Columns from a table.
Transforming Rows to Columns from a table. [message #372442] Tue, 13 February 2001 17:43 Go to next message
Venkat
I got a table/resultset with the following structure.

document_number number(10)
contact_type varchar2(10)
tel_number number(20)

Contact_type has finite number of values (say 10).
ex.. Billing, Admin.. etc

Now, the requirement is to select from that table/resultset one row for each document_number with contact_type_tel_number ( admin_tel_no, billing_tel_no etc.. )

so, the result, for a particular doc_no 1234 , should look like

doc_no admin_telnbr billing_telnbr etc_telnbr....

1234 xxx1 xxx2 xxxn..

can anybody help me out with this transformation.. please..

I am working on an Oracle 7.3 database..

Thanking you for the help in advance...
Re: Transforming Rows to Columns from a table. [message #372445 is a reply to message #372442] Tue, 13 February 2001 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DWu
Hi Venkat,

I just read an example query that seems to work for your situation. Just join the table to itself for a number of times that is equal to 1 less than the number of distinct values in contact_type column. Suppose your table is named YR_TBL and there are 10 distinct values in the column CONTACT_TYPE, try this:

CREATE TABLE AS
SELECT A.DOCUMENT_NUMBER DOC_NO, A.TEL_NUMBER ADMIN_TELNBR, B.TEL_NUMBER BILLING_TELNBR, C.TEL_NUMBER WHATEVER_TELNBR,...J.TEL_NUMBER ETC_TELNBR
FROM YR_TBL A, YR_TBL B, YR_TBL C, ... YR_TBL J
WHERE A.CONTACT_TYPE = "ADMIN"
AND B.CONTACT_TYPE = "BILLING"
AND C.CONTACT_TYPE = "WHATEVER"
AND J.CONTACT_TYPE = "ETC"

Let me know whether it works or not. Will you?
Re: Transforming Rows to Columns from a table. [message #372446 is a reply to message #372442] Tue, 13 February 2001 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DWu
Hi Venkat,

I just read an example query that seems to work for your situation. Just join the table to itself for a number of times that is equal to 1 less than the number of distinct values in contact_type column. Suppose your table is named YR_TBL and there are 10 distinct values in the column CONTACT_TYPE, try this:

CREATE TABLE YR_NEW_TBL AS
SELECT A.DOCUMENT_NUMBER DOC_NO, A.TEL_NUMBER ADMIN_TELNBR, B.TEL_NUMBER BILLING_TELNBR, C.TEL_NUMBER WHATEVER_TELNBR,...J.TEL_NUMBER ETC_TELNBR
FROM YR_TBL A, YR_TBL B, YR_TBL C, ... YR_TBL J
WHERE A.CONTACT_TYPE = "ADMIN"
AND B.CONTACT_TYPE = "BILLING"
AND C.CONTACT_TYPE = "WHATEVER"
AND J.CONTACT_TYPE = "ETC"

Let me know whether it works or not. Will you?
Re: Transforming Rows to Columns from a table. [message #372465 is a reply to message #372442] Wed, 14 February 2001 07:22 Go to previous message
me
select doc_no,
max( decode(contact_type, 'Admin', tel_number, 0) ) admin_telnbr,
max( decode(contact_type, 'Billing', tel_number, 0) ) billing_telnbr,
max( decode(contact_type, 'Etc..', tel_number, 0) ) etc_telnbr,
from table_name
where ...
group by doc_no
Previous Topic: error message ORA-01488
Next Topic: Re: question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jun 28 16:52:36 CDT 2024