Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Slow Retrieval of simple sql statement
Slow Retrieval of simple sql statement [message #375002] Wed, 18 July 2001 04:42 Go to next message
Mike Oakes
Hello All,
I am running a simple sql statement such as

update table
set colum2 = 2
where column1 = '0010R0R1C01000';

I have a good index on column1 but its taking at least 10 minutes to execute. I have about 240,000 records in the table.

If i run the same query on an exactly same schema/database but a different environment i get the results lickedy split.

Could I have some type of index corruption. I'm not sure where to look.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike O.
Re: Slow Retrieval of simple sql statement [message #375006 is a reply to message #375002] Wed, 18 July 2001 09:28 Go to previous message
andrew again
generally in a batch environment Oracle will use ALL_ROWS as an optimizer goal, whereas an online will use FIRST_ROWS. This could be one difference. In sqlplus, try "set autotrace on" to see the explain plan and metrics.

Make sure that the table is analyzed "analyze table ABC estimate statistics;" will analyze that table and index. Before doing that however, see what the current stats are in USER_TABLES and USER_INDEXES.
Select table_name, num_rows, chain_cnt, last_analyzed from user_tables where table_name = 'ABC'; (not sure of all the field names).

Do the same for user_indexes. Fields will include distinct_keys etc. If any of these stats are null or out of date you have likely found a problem.

"analyze table ABC validate structure cascade;" will check that the table and index entries match.
Previous Topic: more quizzes
Next Topic: database triggers b/n a master and detail table
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 07 16:46:58 CDT 2024