Home » Infrastructure » Linux » VM and Linux Installation
VM and Linux Installation [message #414336] Tue, 21 July 2009 12:31 Go to next message
registereduser
I have tried to install EBS R12 onto my Vista Home Premium for study purpose, but failed. Then I think about to install Linux on VM first. I have downloaded Oracle Enterprise Linux, Oracle VM Server and Oracle VM Manager, as well as VMware. I could not find Oracle VM Template; I think Oracle has removed it from free download page.

Now I have some basic questions. Are VMware and Oracle VM same thing but different brand? I tried to use VMware to create a new VM with Linux, but Vista Home Premium won't allow me to install it on my C:\ Driver, anyway I could cope with it? Which one should I use, Oracle VM Server and Oracle VM Manager? I only have one PC and was tried to install it not through CD.

I tried to read documents and articles in Internet, include Oracle, but I am still confused. Many thanks.

Re: VM and Linux Installation [message #414371 is a reply to message #414336] Tue, 21 July 2009 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
VMWare and Oracle VM are two different beasts. Oracle VM is based off of Xen server virtualization. Oracle VM is the only virtualization product that Oracle supports it's products on, however that's not to say Oracle products won't run on the other virtualization servers.

Since Oracle VM is a bare metal virtualization option, for your laptop you should consider VMWare or VirtualBox.
Re: VM and Linux Installation [message #414820 is a reply to message #414336] Thu, 23 July 2009 12:37 Go to previous message
registereduser
Thanks a lot.
Previous Topic: Error in writing to directory /tmp on SUSE 10 while installtion of patch in 9.2.0.4
Next Topic: Sleep function
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:57:27 CDT 2024