Home » Other » Marketplace » Moving to contracting (PL/SQL developer)
Moving to contracting [message #466720] Tue, 20 July 2010 14:33 Go to next message
lalag
Hi,
I am an Oracle developer in the UK. I have been developing in PL/SQL using Oracle 9i for over 3 years now. This is something I thourougly enjoy and I would like to give it a go as a contractor (I am in a permanent position at the moment). I have applied for jobs on line, but I would like to know other contractors' opinion on the current market situation in the UK and what is required to be a suitable contractor. I am hard working and able to find solutions when presented with a problem.
Can you please advise or address me towards any site that can give me an idea on whether it is something I am in a position to do?
Thanks
Re: Moving to contracting [message #466743 is a reply to message #466720] Tue, 20 July 2010 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rahulvb
1/ WHY you want become a contractor ?
2/ What is the thought process behind it ?

Money is one I know for sure. what are others reasons ???
[EDITED by DJM: delete useless quote]

[Updated on: Wed, 21 July 2010 01:23] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Moving to contracting [message #466775 is a reply to message #466743] Wed, 21 July 2010 01:38 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
I have been contracting for over 30 years. During that time I have been without contract for 6 months twice. Do not even think about contracting unless you can cope with the situation of having no money coming in to your bank account and you are, at least, 12 months ahead in your mortgage(s). Also discuss this with your other half, can they handle that you are out of work?

I finished my most recent contract 30 June 200 and am actively looking for work. Even in Australia with its good economy, the IT market is quite tight for contractors. The Government has decided to convert many contractors to permanent and that, along with, Java crap being flavour of the month, they have this idea that they only need to get these Weenie programmers straight out of university or training college and they can build the 'next big thing' without realising the other requirements that are needed to produce good applications.

I suggest that you review your bank account/financial obligations, use Google to find all the job search engines in UK/Europe, save a 'PL/SQL' search against each of them, and see what jobs are being advertised before leaving your current employer.

Why do you want to go contracting? For me, it was because after ten years overseas and coming back to a small city (only 1 million people) the permanent positions in a small city paid too little. I often had to take contract work out of the city and then commuted every other weekend, and when the boys were old enough, my wife joined me in my travels.

David
Previous Topic: Oracle DBA vs Developer
Next Topic: Free Oracle Performance Monitoring Tool & SQL Editor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:06:10 CDT 2024