Home » Infrastructure » Linux » Oracle 11g (Oracle 11g)
Oracle 11g [message #501433] Tue, 29 March 2011 03:34 Go to next message
preet_kumar
As of today's date everyone moving to FreeOS but Oracle still supports Proprietary OS for installing the Database.
I would like to get advice from experienced Oracle DBA's here what would be the preferred free Linux Distro for installing Oracle 11g in production environment.
Re: Oracle 11g [message #501503 is a reply to message #501433] Tue, 29 March 2011 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LKBrwn_DBA
If you install production Oracle 11g in any non-certified OS = No Oracle support.

[Updated on: Tue, 29 March 2011 10:36] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oracle 11g [message #501532 is a reply to message #501503] Tue, 29 March 2011 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
preet_kumar
Thanks LKBrwn,
What do you mean by Oracle support,does that mean technical support from Oracle support team(This is pathetic) or do you mean patch updates not available(but the patches are available for Linux and not distro specific)
Re: Oracle 11g [message #501538 is a reply to message #501532] Tue, 29 March 2011 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
1) is sure. Why is this pathetic?

Regards
Michel
Re: Oracle 11g [message #501541 is a reply to message #501538] Tue, 29 March 2011 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
preet_kumar
I said its pathetic because with our experience it took almost a week to get issues resolved calling and writing Oracle support and its faster to get things resolved with google search.
Re: Oracle 11g [message #501599 is a reply to message #501541] Wed, 30 March 2011 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Most of the time this is correct. Sad

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Wed, 30 March 2011 01:27]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oracle 11g [message #507460 is a reply to message #501599] Sun, 15 May 2011 21:26 Go to previous message
mkounalis
I know this reply is a bit dated, but wanted to throw my $.02 in. In my humble opinion, you NEVER want to run your production system on an unsupported OS. If you run into an issue with your Oracle database, and you get Oracle support spun up to help, and you are running on an unsupported Linux distro, the Oracle Support call ends. How do you explain to your CIO that you can't resolve an issue because you didn't deploy on a supported OS? I don't understand the underlying reasons for this. Oracle, like any other software vendor, needs to be able to support their software on known systems. There is simply no way to know how the software will run on every distribution, kernel, and mix that exists in Linux space. For play areas it might make sense - but there again you run the risk of shutting down your R&D employees due to an issue that is OS related. I have seen this happen time and time again - and yes - there ARE differences in the quality and functionality of the various Linux distros out there. RedHat and Oracle Enterprise Linux are the ONLY two I would suggest right now. SuSE is out there, but it seems to becoming less relevant as an enterprise distro. Yes - Google usually can help you fix an issue before going through the entire Oracle support process, but it can't help you fix ALL issues that you might encounter - and I would argue that if you find it on Google, you probably find it in Metalink as well. People who don't do some due-diligence in researching issues before opening up SR's aren't doing anyone favors. Besides, if you are paying for the Oracle license and support contract in the first place, I find it HARD to believe that the $2k or so in yearly support costs for Linux is really that big of a deal.
Previous Topic: Script for rman backup status
Next Topic: What procedure should follow to upgrade oracle 8.1.7.4 to Oracle 11g R2 on Sunsolaris10
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:44:25 CDT 2024