Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Diff bet Oracle 8 and 8i
Diff bet Oracle 8 and 8i [message #50973] Wed, 17 April 2002 01:47 Go to next message
Prads
Hi everybody,

can someone tell me the diff bet oracle 8.0 and oracle 8i, ie the new features that are added in 8i version.

Thanks,
Prads
Re: Diff bet Oracle 8 and 8i [message #50974 is a reply to message #50973] Wed, 17 April 2002 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pravin Raharekar
Hi

What is new in Oracle 8i Release3?
The following new features are available in Oracle 8i Release 3 (Oracle 8.1.7).
„FJServer Accelerator (Native Java compiler for each platform), Java programs can run as machine code, not interpreted as with 8.1.5.
„FRunning Java Servlets inside the database
„FHTTPD Listener included which enables the database to receive direct HTTP calls.
„FXML (Extensible Markup Language) developers kit included.
„FOracle Internet File System (iFS)
„FOracle 8.1.7 will be the last Oracle release that ships with Server Manager (replaced by new sqlplus functionality)
„FMany more nice features...

What is new in Oracle 8i Release2?
The following new features are available in Oracle 8i Release2 (Oracle 8.1.6):
„FJServer Accelerator (Native Java compiler for each platform), Java programs can run as machine code, not interpreted as with 8.1.5.
„FiFS: Internet File System (only where available)
„FNative support for Java2
„FNew SQL*Plus command line options: sqlplus -MARKUP [[HTML...]] and -RESTRICT
„FMew CASE statement in SQL similar to the Decode() function
„FMany new analytical functions like lag/ lead/ etc implemented in SQL
„FSTATSPACK that can be used for performance monitoring (much better that UTLBSTAT/UTLESTAT).
„FCURSOR_SHARING parameter - optimize SHARED POOL for applications that do not use bind variables
„FBlock checking (DB_BLOCK_CHECKING) is automatically enabled for objects in the SYSTEM tablespace

What is new in Oracle8.i?
The following new features are available in Oracle 8.1.5 (code-named Emerald). Oracle 8.1.5 shipped 1Q 1999.
„FIntegrated Java VM (called Aurora) in the database kernel allowing one to execute Java stored procedures
„FIntegrated support for EJB (Enterprise JavaBeans)
„FIntegrated Object Request Broker for standard CORBA communications between applications and the database
„FJSQL: a specification for Java-based SQL database statements
„FHuge improvements in Oracle Parallel Server technology
„FOracle Enterprise Manager (OEM) v2.0 completely rewritten in Java
„FThe OEM v2.0 Server will allow administration via a Web Browser or via a thick installation and allow DBA's to collaborate
„FHASH based table partitioning (in conjunction with the 8.0 RANGE partitioning)
„FTransportable tablespace: Put the tablespace in read-only mode, run a utility to create a dmp file. Move the dmp file and the datafiles (for that tablespace) to another database. Run another utility to read in the dmp file. And the tablespace will be "in place" in the new database!!!
„FRead only database. Allow you to actually "use" the standby database
„FMultiple remote archival of redo logs. Can specific up to 5 archival destination and can have up to 10 archiver processes
„FDrop the column. (Jared had already mentioned this). Set the column to UNUSED: column will be inaccessible but can change it back to used anytime.
„FFunction based indexes (have to be row level function, can be a user defined function)
„FIndex Key compression: duplicate keys are combined and save space
„FSecondary Index-only-table indexes
„FSingle table hash cluster
„FTemporary tables!! Tables which will be truncated at the end of a transaction or session
„Fpartition new features: merge partitions into one, updatable partition keys (allow movement of rows between partitions), hash partitioning (don't have to determine the partition range), can use LOBS in partitioned tables
„FComposite partitioning (subpartitions using the hash method)
More and more and more.. (run out of time..)

Pravin
Re: Diff bet Oracle 8 and 8i [message #52043 is a reply to message #50973] Thu, 27 June 2002 21:29 Go to previous message
one
does the oracle 8i release3 support the case statement in sql?
Previous Topic: ordering of data different in Oracle8i compared to Oracle 7
Next Topic: 8i Performance Tuning
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 17 20:25:29 CDT 2024