Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » ROWID location
ROWID location [message #51315] Wed, 15 May 2002 08:01 Go to next message
Thomas P Mathew
Thanx & rgds in advance for anybody who can enlighten me on the following:- We all know that ROWIDs are stored as part of the index entry, and also that it is not a part of the table. Say, I have a table with out an index and I give 'SELECT col1,COL2,ROWID FROM table ... . My question now is, where this rowid is coming from / where it is stored, if not in the table ?
Re: ROWID location [message #51319 is a reply to message #51315] Wed, 15 May 2002 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saleem
rowid's are not stored in indexes as if that is their home. the index uses the rowid to point to the exact physical location of the row.

rowid's are oracle's identifiers for rows, and are, i believe, stored in the block header. the rowid is a composite of file, block, and a third item that together make the id.

when you query a table and include 'rowid' in the column list, you are asking oracle for what they call pseudo-column that returns rowids.

you do not have to have an index for the rowid to exist.
Re: ROWID location [message #51330 is a reply to message #51315] Wed, 15 May 2002 22:46 Go to previous message
sharma
rowid will in stored in the table only. in addition ,if you have any index on any table then it will make an entry into the index table with the index column value.

cheers

h.b. sharma
Previous Topic: Re: Redo Logs
Next Topic: Backed up (sort of) oracle data files
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 13 00:31:04 CDT 2024