Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Are separate databases distinct enough for my situation?
Are separate databases distinct enough for my situation? [message #51359] Fri, 17 May 2002 07:05 Go to next message
Erica
I’m very new to Oracle. A little background: we bought a commercial product that required oracle so we bought it (8i), the software vendors installed it for us (on Windows 2k), showed me how to add accounts, and went on their merry way. We are not using that product anymore but since this decision was made recently and we may still need info out of the database for our new solution we don’t want to disturb that one. Now we want to develop a small Oracle database on the same server mostly as a learning experience. We only have an oracle license for this one server. I’m looking for the best way to separate this very risky learning database from the other database. Can I create more than one instance without installing a second copy of oracle into a separate directory or will I be better off to just create a new database in the same instance?
Re: Are separate databases distinct enough for my situation? [message #51360 is a reply to message #51359] Fri, 17 May 2002 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saleem
You can create multiple instances on one box.

Once you have installed oracle on a server you do not need to re-install it to create other databases. in fact doing so can cause tremendous complication and headache that you can do without.

there are a # of little things to do before you set up a new datbase (platform, version dependant), but once you take care of that you can set up many databases on the same server. each instance is separate from the other and if one goes down it almost never affects the other.

review the oracle documentation that came with the installation for more info on creating db's for your particular operating system. or use the GUI tools if you have them installed.
Re: Are separate databases distinct enough for my situation? [message #51362 is a reply to message #51359] Fri, 17 May 2002 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Erica
Thanks for your help. So when you create the new database you can specify the new instance then? This is the root of my confusion: does each new database get a separate instance by default? Or do you have one instance per installation and all your databases on that machine use the same one?
Re: Are separate databases distinct enough for my situation? [message #51364 is a reply to message #51359] Fri, 17 May 2002 09:51 Go to previous message
Erica
That was exactly what I needed to know. Thanks again!
Previous Topic: Re: ORA-17412 "Bigger type length than Maximum"
Next Topic: Installation problem of form 6 and form6i on windows XP
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 13 00:22:42 CDT 2024