Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » SCN Mistery
SCN Mistery [message #51369] Sat, 18 May 2002 02:00 Go to next message
Thomas P Mathew
Hi DBAs. Thanx in advance for a satisfactory reply for this question.
Are SCNs associated with all DMLs, whether committed or not, OR only for committed changes ?

One Oracle Press released book says that a unique SCN will be associated with each & every change made to the data blocks in the Buffer Cache & that a commit record will be identified by a commit SCN & those not committed will be rolled back later. Does this mean that there can be gap in SCN sequence ?
But another Oracle Press release specificly tells that SCNs are associated with only committed records. I fear that much material is not available in this aspect. Isn't this slightly fuzzy ? Any positive response welcome.

Rgds
Re: SCN Mistery [message #51389 is a reply to message #51369] Mon, 20 May 2002 19:37 Go to previous message
Kishore
Hi,
No, the SCN will not be generated for any UNCOMMITTED transactions. Only COMMITTED changes generate SCN. The redo/archive files contains the information about the 'rollback information associated with uncommitted blocks/transactions also'. During the recovery, if it can not find an SCN (this is true for uncommitted ones) it rollback/undo the change associated with that block and keeps the old image back in place.
I hope this helps you,
Kishore
Previous Topic: Oracle 8i Certification
Next Topic: ORA-04031: unable to allocate 4096 bytes of shared memory
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 13 00:22:32 CDT 2024