Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Missing Datafile
Missing Datafile [message #51861] Tue, 18 June 2002 11:26 Go to next message
Ann Mason
I have a datafile in our production database with the status of missing0026. I know the name of the datafile and it still exists at the OS level, but it has been renamed at the OS level. I want to rename the missing datafile back to what it should be, but I do not want to use the datafile that exists at the OS level. The file has been renamed for over 1 year now and I don't know if it was ever used or what was in it because I was not the DBA at the time? Is is possible to:
1.create a new empty datafile
2. rename the datafile from missing to its correct name
and bring it online? If so, how would I do it? If this is not possible, does anyone know how I could get this missing datfile back? The database is 7.3.4.3 running in archivelog mode.

Thanks for your help...
Re: Missing Datafile [message #51863 is a reply to message #51861] Tue, 18 June 2002 12:12 Go to previous message
Grant
You do not want to create a new one. It will generate a new SCN and it won't match. I would call Oracle Support and ask them. If the data file has been missing for over a year and you still have your data in tact it is probably easy but why create problems. If you try to move the old one back the DB may need archive logs that you won't have. The DBA probably removed objects and took it offline but didn't drop it. There is a command "alter database datafile 'filename' offline drop" that may do what you want but I would still make sure and call Oracle. One thing for sure is to make sure you have a good backup before you do anything.
Previous Topic: Anyone has taken all exams for certification
Next Topic: How to check the whole oracle software
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 17 20:26:12 CDT 2024