Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » a simple doubt
a simple doubt [message #52127] Wed, 03 July 2002 21:15 Go to next message
priyanshu
sir ,
here is a simple doubt which i am not able to sort out.

i just want to know whether oracle 8i is server name dependent or not and why?
by this i mean that when we install an oracle8i server we give a server name to it...now in future if we want to change the server name then will the change be reflected on the oracle and can the database be accessed with the changed name..

we have changed the server name on which earlier we are having the database but now with the changed name we are not able to open any of the oracle components and applications..we also tried by changing the service name and host name in main configuration files like init.ora,tnsnames.ora and many others but that was of no use... the error message that it was showing was"listener not able to start a dedicated server process",is it because the server is dedicated to the earlier server name or any other thing is wrong.
so i want to ask u that does oracle only accept the name which was given during installation time and for it to accept some other server name what should we do so that the database can be opened and accessed..

could you suggest some reference material where i can get the related text.
thanks for your kind help,
waiting for your reply
priyanshu
Re: a simple doubt [message #52129 is a reply to message #52127] Wed, 03 July 2002 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depa
hi,

i think you got to change in the listener.ora file to the current machine name
other wise reconfigure the listener
Re: a simple doubt [message #52158 is a reply to message #52127] Fri, 05 July 2002 06:55 Go to previous message
Grant
On the server make sure your listener.ora and tnsnames.ora files have been modified to reflect the new name and restart the listener. On the client modify the tnsnames.ora to point to the new server name. Note: the client will need to be able to ping the new server name (DNS or host file).

Once you have connectivity by the client your apps should connect.
Previous Topic: reg import from one table space to another tablespace
Next Topic: Database Configuration Assistant
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 17 20:29:36 CDT 2024