Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Low Buffer cache hit ratio
Low Buffer cache hit ratio [message #53270] Tue, 10 September 2002 07:57 Go to next message
Venkat
I have a tablespace and the corresponding datafiles are spread across all six different raid sets. And recently I faced a problem of very low buffer cache hit ratio. I suspect this is because of the existing configuration as incase of a query against a very large object might result in fetching the data from 6 different raid sets. The hit ratio has even come down to 6%.
My understanding is that, for better I/O, we have to separate the data tablespace from that of the index tablespace by maintaining the corresponding files in two different raid sets.
What I do not know is, can we spread the datfiles corresponding to the same tablespace across the raid sets.
This way I suspect, we are causing the oracle to read the data from 6 raid sets instead of just one raid set.

Would any body through some light on this?

Thanks,
Venkat
Re: Low Buffer cache hit ratio [message #53272 is a reply to message #53270] Tue, 10 September 2002 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
if you make oracle read / write data from one disk,
then you I/O will not be balanced.
the idea is to spread the I/O.
so, as per convention seperate 
           your data and index.
           archivelog and logfiles
           redo and rollback segments
lower hit ratio means  oracle is not finding the
required data in buffer and lookinginto disk very frequently.
so: increase buffers (DB_BLOCK_BUFFERS)
             make sure, the data is available for
longer time( caching the table , pinning the objects
etc). you can also look into KEEP buffer pool 
{to retain objects in memory, thus avoiding I/O operations}.

Re: Low Buffer cache hit ratio [message #53276 is a reply to message #53270] Tue, 10 September 2002 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrew again
Note that spreading indexes and tables (as Mahesh says) is common but the aim is still to spread IO across physical discs. You could have also put objects (tables and indexes) A-M in one TS and N-Z in another as long as you are on different physical devices.

Regarding the low buffer hit ratio, remember that data read which results from a full table scan is NOT cached (it would hog all the buffer space and you would be constantly flushing out old data to make space for the next FTS). Make sure that your application is "warm" - the first time your app accesses the data it's not in the buffer - second time maybe. If your data is really large then there is no hope of buffering much of it, so hit ratio will be low (e.g. data warehouse).

If you put each TS on a diffent mount point, but those mount points all end up on the same physical disk(s) then there is no point in having multiple tablespaces (apart from managing space etc.).
Re: Low Buffer cache hit ratio [message #53281 is a reply to message #53270] Tue, 10 September 2002 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.K. Raj kumar
Hi,

Even in this case also Oracle will use Paraller Read option only to get the data from all the 6 Disks and hence it should not be the problem of I/O.

Just check up by using explain for the select statements and see where things is going wrong.
Re: Low Buffer cache hit ratio [message #53368 is a reply to message #53270] Mon, 16 September 2002 10:17 Go to previous message
Venkat
Thank you all for your invaluable inputs

Venkat
Previous Topic: Re: help for getting error ORA-01304
Next Topic: what is MTS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 14:22:04 CDT 2024