Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » estimate statistics
estimate statistics [message #53345] Fri, 13 September 2002 10:49 Go to next message
Keith Sherman
I've seen many different 'recommendations' on what an appropriate percent sample size for analyze table estimate statistics but there must be a way a single definitive number. I've seen people recommend just about every number over 9%. In fact I have two popular books by the same publisher that recommends 33% in one and then in another 3%. I have always been under the impression that under 20% leads to the CBO missing indexes, but there must be a real number out there to go by, does anyone know of any? Is there some sort of formula one can use?
Re: estimate statistics [message #53346 is a reply to message #53345] Fri, 13 September 2002 13:06 Go to previous message
andrew again
If you know that your data is randomly spread in value throughout your table/index then you can use a lower percentage. If your data is loaded in some order you could have a problem if the % is too low. If the histograms derived from reading just a sample of your data are very different from the histograms which would be derived from reading all the blocks (compute statistics) then you have a problem. I stick to low % untill I hit something which warrants more - then I would probably go straight to 'compute'; Rather than continuing to use "analyze", you should consider dbms_stats. It's supposed to be faster and better (especially with newer features like partitions etc). Check the documentation for the differences.

I simply submit a daily dbms_stast job something like this:

declare
   l_job number;
begin
    dbms_job.submit( job => l_job,
                     what => 
'begin /* get stats */
  dbms_stats.GATHER_SCHEMA_STATS (''SCOTT'');
end;',
                     next_date => sysdate, 
                     interval => 'trunc(sysdate+1)+22/24' );
    commit;
    dbms_output.put_line( ' your job is # '|| l_job);
end;
/
Previous Topic: java.exe alert after intalling oracle 8i (Pentium iv)
Next Topic: Help asap! clarification
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 14:14:05 CDT 2024