Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Date format - milliseconds!!!
Date format - milliseconds!!! [message #53398] Wed, 18 September 2002 01:05 Go to next message
Nikhil Marathe
I would be obliged to know if there is any way to store and retrieve dates in Oracle to the precision of milliseconds. If no, then are there any databases which support this feature?
Thanks and regards
Nikhil
Re: Date format - milliseconds!!! [message #53404 is a reply to message #53398] Wed, 18 September 2002 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
with 8i it is not directly possible ( you need to a Java stored procedure). Anyhow u cannot store it as native datatype.
i beleive, it is solved with 8i.
Re: correction [message #53405 is a reply to message #53398] Wed, 18 September 2002 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
with 8i it is not directly possible ( you need to a Java stored procedure). Anyhow u cannot store it as native datatype.
i beleive, it is solved with 9i.
Re: correction [message #53417 is a reply to message #53405] Wed, 18 September 2002 11:59 Go to previous message
andrew again
To store date&time down to millisec in 8i and earlier, you need to store the value in a varchar column. See TIMESTAMP column in USER_OBJECTS. Although you may not see millisec discplayed there, you could. It depends on how the data got in there. Note that you need to store your string representation in descending significance (yyyy mm dd hh24 mi ss millisec) if you want to be able to sort on it. Of course you still cant do date arithmetic on it... SYSDATE and date formats don't go down to millisec either, so you need to get the value externally (as Mahesh said).
Previous Topic: Using index in like '%value%'
Next Topic: Re: Moving from 4 processors to 8 processors Server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 14:14:03 CDT 2024