Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Dropping Core
Dropping Core [message #53639] Wed, 02 October 2002 14:07 Go to next message
Joe
I have a database that I am monitoring...everything is well with this database, there are no errors in the alert.log, however, I just noticed a core file in the $ORACLE_BASE directory. What is recommended?
Re: Dropping Core [message #53650 is a reply to message #53639] Thu, 03 October 2002 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zeeshan.
A core dump is an image copy of the state of a process, which is produced if the process attempts to do something not allowed by the Operating System. The process information is written to a file named "core".

Some of the things a program might attempt to do that would cause a core dump include: trying to execute an illegal/unknown instruction, trying to access memory outside the allowed range, or trying to use an unavailable resource.

A core file contains much information to aid in determining why a process crashed.

Dump can be useful to Oracle Support in determining why a core dump from an Oracle product occurred
Re: Dropping Core [message #53676 is a reply to message #53639] Fri, 04 October 2002 11:50 Go to previous message
Grant
Just delete them. You will get information in the alert log or trace files so they generally are not a problem. If you start getting them all the time support may want a copy of it along with the other files. I have never had to use one in over 10 years.
Previous Topic: ORA-01874: time zone hour must be between -12 and 13
Next Topic: Locks on v$global_transaction
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 14:15:42 CDT 2024