Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Pctused and pctfree
Pctused and pctfree [message #54019] Thu, 24 October 2002 05:29 Go to next message
Giri
i have one table which is not getting updated so can i put the pctfree for that table to be 0.that table contains only insertions and also the inserts are not too much. what pctused shall i use.

luv
Giri
Re: Pctused and pctfree [message #54029 is a reply to message #54019] Thu, 24 October 2002 10:24 Go to previous message
andrew again
You can set it to 0, but unless the table is really big - or you have no disk space then you won't achieve much. Do an "analyze table XYZ estimate statistics" and then "select avg_row_len, chain_cnt, last_analyzed from user_tables where table_name = 'XYZ'" to see how long your rows are to do some easy space estimates. If you do set it to 0 and then update nay rows to longer lengths then you'll have row chaining which you don't want. Once you delete rows froma block, it doesn't become a candate for new inserts until it'l level drops below pctused. Increasing pctused will make it become a candidate for inserts sooner, but with the cost of more system overhead.
Previous Topic: Issues with enterprise manager
Next Topic: Re: Bigger than 1 GB datafile under Linux 7.3
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 18:03:54 CDT 2024