Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Select data from Access database
Select data from Access database [message #54052] Fri, 25 October 2002 18:09 Go to next message
Frank
What is a good proofed solution for (in batch) getting data from an Access database 1:1 to Oracle database?
Te keep control over the whole proces I prefer to select the date (from the point of view of Oracle) instead of pushing the data from Access to Oracle using ODBC-connection.
I have read about Generic Connectivity (and Oracle Heterogeneous Services), but is that the only solution?
If so, how can I (developer) convince a DBA to install the ODBC agent? Can it have impact on the database or imply extra work for DBA?
Is the possibility of retrieving data from a non-Oracle database just possible from Oracle 8.1.6 (read in "What’s New in Oracle8 i")?

Thanks in advance,
Frank
Re: Select data from Access database [message #54080 is a reply to message #54052] Mon, 28 October 2002 16:43 Go to previous message
Trifon Anguelov
No need for ODBC in this case. Go to Access and Take a look at the TransferText command in the on-line help. Then write your own code to export the Access data in cvs format.

Then create script to FTP, rcp, scp the data file to Oracle. Create your SQL*Loader control file and do the load. You can schedule the Oracle job with either DBMS_JOB package or shell scripting.

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
OCP - DBA

Visit our Web site

Previous Topic: Speed probleme on Oracle 8.1.6 under Linux
Next Topic: Different Users, Same Schema, Different Data
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 18:03:23 CDT 2024