got corrupted" " /> OraFAQ Forum: Server Administration » password file "pwd<sid> got corrupted"
Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » password file "pwd got corrupted"
password file "pwd got corrupted" [message #54085] Mon, 28 October 2002 23:30 Go to next message
srikanth
HI,
My database password file "pwd<sid>.ora" got corrupted and hance was accidently deleted meddling it.How do i recover my database now.

I get "error opening password file".Little bit utgent

Thanx in advance,
Srikanth
Re: password file "pwd got corrupted" [message #54087 is a reply to message #54085] Tue, 29 October 2002 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
B
use orapwd to recreate it ... don't worry no need to recover.

type orapwd for help.
Re: password file "pwd got corrupted" [message #54089 is a reply to message #54085] Tue, 29 October 2002 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
srikanth
HI,
orapwd just has the syntax "orapwd file password(sys/internal) entries(users)".Where do i specify my database <sid>.The file it creates also doesn't contain the sid in it(i compared this with other databases' password files).So when i configure my net service name and test it,it says "could not resolve service_name in connect descriptor".i guezz the problem should be becoz of the password file.Just elaborate on what u mentioned.tell me the complete steps to recreate a password file for a database assuming i have all the other required files everythin'

Thanx in advance,
Srikanth
Re: password file "pwd got corrupted" [message #54091 is a reply to message #54085] Tue, 29 October 2002 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
1.  no need to specify the database.
    the file nameshouldbe be orapw(sid)
    it must created only in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory.
    syntax is ( assuming sid=prod)
    orapwd file=orapwprod password=yourpassword entries=10
    make sure u shutdown the database before recreating the passwordfile.
2.  [i]could not resolve service_name in connect descriptor[/i]
    for this, you need to lookin into tnsnames.ora

Re: password file "pwd got corrupted" [message #54093 is a reply to message #54091] Tue, 29 October 2002 06:50 Go to previous message
srikanth
HI,
But when u compare a password file generated during the database creation and a password created using orapwd,the "database sid" is missing in the newly created one.Do u mean to say orapwd determines whatever succeeds PWD as the database sid.Even if it does that,the file doesn't contain the database sid.I fear this could cause problems.I am trying out one and would mail u if i encounter any problems.

What now i am working on is backing up the database files on one node and trying to mount the database on another node without the password file.for this i am using orapwd to generate the paswd file.

Thanx,
Srikanth
Previous Topic: TNS could not resolve service name on Mac OS X
Next Topic: Getting Ora-03113 if we specify the SID
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 18:03:39 CDT 2024