Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Changing a Standby Controlfile
Changing a Standby Controlfile [message #54524] Wed, 20 November 2002 10:55 Go to next message
AT
I have a primary db that has datafiles ALL IN THE SAME DIRECTORY.
I want to create a STANDBY db that has datafiles distributed over many disks (e.g ora1, ora2, oradata).

How do I change the control file CREATED ON THE PRIMARY (e.g alter database create standby control file as '') so the STANDBY db knows where the datafiles will be put??

Thx
AT
Re: Changing a Standby Controlfile [message #54543 is a reply to message #54524] Thu, 21 November 2002 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
B
No U can't change the standby control file

use db_file_name_convert and log_file_name_convert to match the new location.
Re: Changing a Standby Controlfile [message #54629 is a reply to message #54524] Sun, 24 November 2002 11:04 Go to previous message
sharan alva
AT - The controlfile is a binary file and you should not edit it.
On certain occassions people do want the datafiles to be layed out different than the primary database. You can accomplish this by the following:

- This can be done using the db_file_name_convert and log_file_name_convert INIT.ORA-parameters or by manually using the ALTER DATABASE statements. (This will be for future datafiles being created )

- Manually change the names of the primary datafiles and redo logs in the standby control file for all files not automatically renamed using DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT and LOG_FILE_NAME_CONVERT as noted Datafile names can be changed on the standby at a " mounted " state with the following syntax:

SQL> alter database rename file
2 'old path/filename'
3 to
4 'new path/filename';

- Hope this helps - Sharan
Previous Topic: frm error
Next Topic: Oracle Support Services
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 18:09:54 CDT 2024