Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Problem in Adding a datafile
Problem in Adding a datafile [message #57268] Sun, 01 June 2003 00:32 Go to next message
Arindam Malakar
Hello,

I got 1 problem.We r running in OPS.I ve to add a datafile to the tablespace FCCDATANEW.I ve created the logical volume of 2 gb(2048 MB).Now while attaching the datafile to the tablespace,i ve given this commnad :

alter tablespace FCCDATANEW add datafile '/dev/rfccdata10' size 2047 reuse;

By mistake instead of giving 2047M i ve given 2047.So it has taken only 2047 bytes.Rest space of the logical volume will be unused.Can u suggest,how to resize the datafile.

It is very urgent.

Waiting for the prompt reply.

Rgds,

Arindam.
Re: Problem in Adding a datafile [message #57269 is a reply to message #57268] Sun, 01 June 2003 07:49 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
in your case, you can just extend / resize the datfile to a higher value.
But if you are resizing the datafile to a lower value,
there are somehting to take care ( which IS NOT YOUR CASE).
quoting the docs
Manually Resizing a Datafile
You can manually increase or decrease the size of a datafile using the ALTER DATABASE statement.

Because you can change the sizes of datafiles, you can add more space to your database without adding more datafiles. This is beneficial if you are concerned about reaching the maximum number of datafiles allowed in your database.

Manually reducing the sizes of datafiles enables you to reclaim unused space in the database. This is useful for correcting errors in estimates of space requirements.

In the next example, assume that the datafile /u02/oracle/rbdb1/stuff01.dbf has extended up to 250M. However, because its tablespace now stores smaller objects, the datafile can be reduced in size.

The following statement decreases the size of datafile /u02/oracle/rbdb1/stuff01.dbf:

ALTER DATABASE DATAFILE '/u02/oracle/rbdb1/stuff01.dbf'
   RESIZE 100M;

Previous Topic: how to see the various activities of the users
Next Topic: Urgent requirement, need Paging script
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 02:41:37 CDT 2024