Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Listener starting problem
Listener starting problem [message #59326] Wed, 12 November 2003 03:58 Go to next message
Fabio
I installed oracle 8.1.7 EE on windows 2000 server (SP4). At the end of the installation the "Net8 Configuration" doesn't end the configuration stopping its process on "lsnrctl start LISTENER". I kill the LSNRCTL process and the setup continued.

I tried to setup the listener using the "Net8 Configuration Assistant" tools but at the end of the configuration the process is stopped.

Thanks in advance.

Following my listener.ora configuration:

# LISTENER.ORA Network Configuration File: D:OracleOra81networkadminlistener.ora
# Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

LISTENER =
(DESCRIPTION_LIST =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST =192.168.1.239)(PORT = 1521))
)
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST =127.0.0.1)(PORT = 1521))
)
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC0))
)
)
)

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
(SID_LIST =
(SID_DESC =
(SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
(ORACLE_HOME = D:OracleOra81)
(PROGRAM = extproc)
)
)
Re: Listener starting problem [message #59328 is a reply to message #59326] Wed, 12 November 2003 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daljit Singh
Hi,

Plz give us detail info like wht do u mean by process stopped is it giving any error or it is continuing processing without any response?

Use net8 to check the listener. Use lsnrctl utility to check the status of each listener. Try to make a connection and tell us the whole detail.
Re: Listener starting problem [message #59330 is a reply to message #59326] Wed, 12 November 2003 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fabio
The net8 configuration doesn't give any kind of response. I stop it manually killing the "LSNRCTL" process.

If I try to create the listener using "net8 configuration assistant" tool it doesn't give any kind of response.

I tried to create listner.ora and tnsnames.ora files manually and if I try to start the OracleTNSListner service by MMC it works but if I try to start it using lsnrctl it doesn't give any response.

follow listener.ora and tnsnames.ora files:
I have tried to setup the listener using the "Net8 Configuration Assistant" tools but at the end of the configuration the process is stopped.

I have also seen that running svrmgrl the tools return "ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error".
I have setup the environement variables ORACLE_HOME=D:OracleOra81 and ORACLE_SID=LOCAL.

Thanks in advance.

Following tnsnames.ora and listener.ora configuration:

# LISTENER.ORA Network Configuration File: D:OracleOra81networkadminlistener.ora

LISTENER =
(DESCRIPTION_LIST =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
)
(ADDRESS_LIST =
)
(ADDRESS_LIST =
)
)
)

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
(SID_LIST =
(SID_DESC =
(SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
(PROGRAM = extproc)
)
)

# TNSNAMES.ORA Network Configuration File: d:oracleora81NETWORKADMINtnsnames.ora

LOCAL =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(Key = EXTPROC0))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = PLSExtProc)
)
)
Re: Listener starting problem [message #59331 is a reply to message #59328] Wed, 12 November 2003 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fabio
The net8 configuration doesn't give any kind of response. I stop it manually killing the "LSNRCTL" process.

If I try to create the listener using "net8 configuration assistant" tool it doesn't give any kind of response.

I tried to create listner.ora and tnsnames.ora files manually and if I try to start the OracleTNSListner service by MMC it works but if I try to start it using lsnrctl it doesn't give any response.

follow listener.ora and tnsnames.ora files:
I have tried to setup the listener using the "Net8 Configuration Assistant" tools but at the end of the configuration the process is stopped.

I have also seen that running svrmgrl the tools return "ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error".
I have setup the environement variables ORACLE_HOME=D:OracleOra81 and ORACLE_SID=LOCAL.

Thanks in advance.

Following tnsnames.ora and listener.ora configuration:

LISTENER =
(DESCRIPTION_LIST =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
)
(ADDRESS_LIST =
)
(ADDRESS_LIST =
)
)
)

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
(SID_LIST =
(SID_DESC =
(SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
(PROGRAM = extproc)
)
)

# TNSNAMES.ORA Network Configuration File: d:oracleora81NETWORKADMINtnsnames.ora

LOCAL =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(Key = EXTPROC0))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = PLSExtProc)
)
)
Re: Listener starting problem [message #59337 is a reply to message #59331] Wed, 12 November 2003 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thiru
so the listener is not listening for any database(service) ?

Reconfigure your listener and specify the services for which the listener process would listen to. Here its just configured for the external procedures..

eg)

SID_LIST_LISTENERH =
(SID_LIST =
(SID_DESC =
(SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
(ORACLE_HOME = /h1oracle/9.0.1)
(PROGRAM = extproc)
)
(SID_DESC =
(GLOBAL_DBNAME = HTST83)
(ORACLE_HOME = /h1oracle/9.0.1)
(SID_NAME = HTST83)
)
)

-Thiru
Re: Listener starting problem [message #59349 is a reply to message #59337] Thu, 13 November 2003 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sachin kumar gupta
Thiru u r absolutely right. I think it is also required to configure the tnsnames.ora other than the External Procedures:

Eg:

MIS =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = jupiter)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVICE_NAME = mis)
)
)

Pls. also answer my following questions:
1. On server side only listener.ora is required (Is tnsnames.ora & sqlnet.ora are really necessary)??
2. Is it possible to create the db on Oracle Client Side('coz I can't find any DBCA)just for some experiment??
3. Is there any way to access the DAT drive in Windows Adv. server using OS utility ONLY??

TIA ,
Sachin
Re: Listener starting problem [message #59367 is a reply to message #59349] Thu, 13 November 2003 11:11 Go to previous message
Thiru
1. tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora are not mandatory on the server, but maybe required for the local applications that make use of them(ie tns connectivity through tcp/ip)

2. a Client is a generic term. A server can be a client too. You can create a database as long as you have the Server software installed. A client only installation (ie basic networking etc) is not sufficient enough.

3.I would think so. I havent used them ,so I cannot shed more light on this.

-Thiru
Previous Topic: SQLPLUS COPY NOT WORKING
Next Topic: Max File Size In Autoextend Is Out Of Range
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 10:21:35 CDT 2024