Home » RDBMS Server » Security » Grant select to a view but not the underlying table
Grant select to a view but not the underlying table [message #12643] Fri, 28 May 2004 13:50 Go to next message
Rick Berning
Various places I've read that views are good because you can provide filtered data rather than access to the base data tables.  But if the user does not have select privileges for the base table, how can they be effectively granted for the view based on that table.   In this case, I do not want the user to see all the data - just a subset.  Is there someway I can grant select for the view but do not grant select for the base table?  The result is ORA-01031: insufficient privileges when the user tries to run the view when they do not have select granted on the base.  But when I grant select to that user on the base table then the view will work for them.
Re: Grant select to a view but not the underlying table [message #12648 is a reply to message #12643] Fri, 28 May 2004 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Todd Barry
Rick, it is very common to grant select on a view but not on the underlying table(s). Is the view owned by the same user as the base table?
Re: Grant select to a view but not the underlying table [message #12688 is a reply to message #12643] Tue, 01 June 2004 07:26 Go to previous message
Rick Berning
Todd, I have the view owner as different than the base table owner mostly for organizational reasons. Should it be the same owner? Thanks.
Previous Topic: Problem after changing password
Next Topic: Oracle Password
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:34:45 CDT 2024